租房买房买生意上iU91
楼主: jly
打印 上一主题 下一主题

加拿大大学

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
21#
发表于 2002-10-30 00:49 | 只看该作者
你只说对了一半,McGill 的机械工程确实不是强项,但不能单从录取的分数来看一个大学的水平,一个专业的好坏一定程度上是由学生的素质来决定的,可以这么说,就是因为没有中国人读那个专业,才使得更多的美国学生和其他国家的学生读,他们的动手能力很大程度上体现了一个专业的强弱,中国学生多的专业里,往往只注重分数,而且喜欢聚在一起,这样的发展很是不好,也会影响大环境,在McGill的学生学习氛围很好,大家交流也很多,虽然机械不是热门,但是作为重工业基础和国家建设的基础,从McGill毕业的学生很多都是能找到很好的工作的,毕竟一个学校的声誉一定程度上决定了就业的容易度,相比之下,确实不入医学很其他专业在这几年,但是,在市场的饱和下,热门专业也会渐渐变化,没人能预料将来,所以,你的说法很笼统,其实,一个学校的好坏,在于它的学校环境,学习环境和声誉等多方面因素,所以不能说机械工程系不和本校的名誉相符。由于医学院过于强,有些掩盖了其他专业的光芒。我从很多机械工程系的学生那里感觉到,他们的自豪感,虽然我不是机械工程系的学生。其实McGill 工程系里没有弱项,只有社会需求不同而产生的所谓强弱!我不觉的加拿大有几个大学比McGill的机械强。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

22#
发表于 2002-10-30 00:55 | 只看该作者
哦,还有,其实McGill的商学院最好的并不时他的MBA,其实是他的本科,而且没有几个中国人,大环境是很不错的,我只知道在美国,最号进的大学就是McGill,SIT的分数要比U of T高出了40多分。
McGill 的比较弱的系可能要数Arts&Science,但是一些专业还是很好的!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

23#
发表于 2002-10-30 00:58 | 只看该作者
附加一点,
“烂“这个词形容McGill的MBA和机械工程好像不大妥当,如果是烂,那么怎么形容其他学校的这两个专业??
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

24#
发表于 2002-10-30 03:11 | 只看该作者
Just want to make some correction. Indeed, McGill traditional strength is  Science  along with its  Medicine. Many foundamental areas in Medicine are based on Scientific discovery, e.g. Microbiology, Bio/Chemistry, Mathematics, and very newly developing technology computational biology/bioinfo joined by CS, Math, and Biology department. That's why all mcgill nobel winners are from Science and Medicine.

McGill Engineering esp. CE&EE is very good, but some programs are just okay, like Mechamical Engineering, it's just average or say at most above average, because they don't have much fundings even if ME is part of CIM research centre. You cannot expect too much if they don't have money.

McGill Management is good too, but certainly cannot be treated as the best business school or best Faculty at McGill. Same as its undergraduate program. In fact, I didn't hear much exciting news from Management, only this guy Henry Mintzberg make me deeply admire.

10 years ago, mcgill may claim herself the only best school in Canada. No one would say no. But not now...instead, maybe should be called one of the best. Although I do believe she still be able to attract many best Canadian students, she doesn't have enough money to get hold of a large amount of world class top-notch researchers. The situation seems getting better though, comparing to 3 or 4 years ago. We'll see.

Many US companies treat McGill as a Ivey league school. It proves to be true when I attended one Boston company presentation last year, the recuiter told ppl they usually give higher priority to students from MIT, Cornell, Harvard, McGill... they said they consider students from McGill are the same level as students from those Ivey schools in the States. Well, one thing is for sure. Not every McGill student deserves that, even though still quite amount do.

In general, if ask me to give a rather unofficial ranking according to the value of each mcgill faculty for FUN, I will offer my personal opinion. You can have thousands of reasons to oppose to it, no problem just do it. Assume no discriminations involved in any faculities (i will not downgrade a faculty simply because i failed one course in that faculty) Here is the shit (aka crap).

1. Faculty of Medicine

2. Faculty of Science
2. Faculty of Law
2. Faculty of Engineering
2. Faculty of Dentistry

3. Faculty of Management

4. Faculty of Arts
4. Faculty of Religious Studies
4. Faculty of Music

5. Facutly of Agriculture
5. Faculty of Education
5. Faculty of Environment

6. Faculty of Continue Education

p.s. wow I found large enough amount of cool chinese guys and pretty chinese girls in school these days. Much much more than serveral years ago.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

25#
发表于 2002-10-30 13:21 | 只看该作者
In the CGA exam this June, several MiGill students are among the top range of Quebec candidates in FA4.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

26#
发表于 2002-10-30 13:32 | 只看该作者
Concordia Uni. also has good faculties in Canada, such as its B-school, EE etc
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

27#
发表于 2002-10-30 13:57 | 只看该作者
in mcgill,the press is much harder . normally you can take 7 course at Queen's in 1st year undergraduate study.But every one in Mcgill know is almost impossible in mcgill,the course burden is so heavy.you need appove from Dean if u want take 6 course .in computer science it will make u exhaust if take 4 or more senior course at one semester .Some professor is so mean,some cousr average is only C !! there is no A+ at mcgill,think about the enroll condition,really hard to got a good mark,that's why Princeton Best 345 colleges review give mcgill academics 90 but U T  only 75 .
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

28#
发表于 2002-10-30 15:29 | 只看该作者
Yes, what u said is right, now i got  the same feeling as u did. Actually,your analysis about McGill is really nice, so I would think about u r a Master or Docter studying in High Energy Physics, r u?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

29#
发表于 2002-10-30 16:28 | 只看该作者
hi haixingxing,are you studying at McGill right now?how come do you get your feeling about McGill?just by your imagination from a loser resent mind?
two years ago when the IT was so hot,many people sharped their head to change their majors into computer science or other hot majors following the legend composed by your kinds of no-brain chinese,but unfortunately nowaday they have to face the harch IT job market.hope you are not one of such sour grapes.

TOEFL score can only show your english proficiency or just a prerequisite for a international student.who cares about it?maybe only few lousy people value it as a huge success.

as i know,the reputation of both Mechanical enginnering and MBA in mcgill are recognised among top 5 compared with other canadian universities.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

30#
发表于 2002-10-30 21:25 | 只看该作者
willow,what I said is true, although you never heard,you know last year before 911, aerospace is the best major(at least in quebec), so one guy and me chose to attend concordia last year for aerospace program(master).I am from an aeronautical university in China , of course I chose program not uni.,and another girl
also gave up Mcgill mechanical and chose the Computer (undergraduate) in concordia,and a lady did the same thing to attend Mcgill undergraduate (computer).

Another friend of mine who also gave up mcgill mechanical 3 years ago  attended concordia aerospace,and he got intership in Bombardier, if no 911, he will get the position after graduation in bombardier.

The above example is just what I knew, I believe there must be more people who did the same or similar things but I don't know.

Pressure:
We don't fear any pressure, but I knew some student in mcgill mechanical can't stand the pressure of the course "fluid mechanics" and then transfer to thesis option ( to avoid the course). In mcgill and concordia, the courses "fluid mechanics" and "aerodynamics" are very tough, little students dare to take them(but I took them and got good grade), so no one fear the so-called pressure in Mcgill , everyone has his /her idea.

Univ. is not the most important thing, you should have ability.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-4-24 20:19 , Processed in 0.044641 second(s), 38 queries .