使用道具 举报

102#
发表于 2003-11-22 22:00 | 只看该作者
据说部分BUS已经于今天下午恢复运营了,METRO不知道要等到什么时候
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

103#
发表于 2003-11-22 22:57 | 只看该作者
When New York City was faced with a crippling transit strike 11 months ago, Mayor Michael Bloomberg didn't wait for the strike to begin.
  p, U2 d# L. K( |0 L" e( Z4 ^+ I; L$ a3 g4 v1 d: U9 L$ L
In the days leading up to the union's strike deadline, Bloomberg made it clear that he would use every legal avenue available to prevent such a strike and, if he failed, to make it very costly for the transit union.
0 D& f9 }! X9 W5 y3 K( [& c' F9 m3 U1 P* v# u- y; [, d9 l
He promised strict enforcement of a New York law that outlaws public-service strikes and permits workers to be docked two days' pay for every day they are on strike. As well, Bloomberg asked a judge to fine each striking worker $25,000 a day and the unions $1 million a day. , n3 X2 V3 V8 y; Z9 z9 ~
4 P* J. b$ M9 X& e; M
The New York mayor also made it clear that he would use every avenue to hold the union responsible for the $20 million a day city officials would have to spend to offset the impact of a strike. ( g4 T# u' n4 ~! A8 O- f3 R' L( @+ u: N
' M- \- {1 f' |+ L
Bloomberg had a detailed emergency plan to prevent a strike from shutting down business. It included requiring all commuter vehicles entering Manhattan to carry at least four passengers and clearing traffic obstacles by stopping roadwork and restricting truck deliveries.5 N, m7 o* u$ A, f- \; R
. n2 b9 R. \$ S
With all this, the fiery transit-union leader cooled off. There was no strike. Union members got raises. The city got changes in work rules designed to let it recoup the expense of these raises by boosting productivity.' E% d3 n* e6 |5 E$ l% a

3 ?: M7 o. b& h8 CCompare this with Montreal. Commuters have been suffering all week, even though Quebec's Essential Services Council has required workers to maintain rush-hour service.7 G4 S; s' k7 _' L7 }' x

) w6 u( c1 }% x9 Y7 m* `; M1 K- i% QThe large number of people who work outside the 9-to-5 pattern have no service. Those who work weekends have so far been offered no service. Those who depend on transit to shop or visit friends or seek medical care can forget it., K9 L' s& q5 p
/ Y9 ]; i1 A9 H3 c
Finally, on Thursday, Mayor Gerald Tremblay emerged from his slumber. "My patience has limits," he said, and if the strike continued too long, he would ask that workers be legislated back to work.: d: n# F( {) L

6 x& \6 a, X4 p7 H: r: _( C2 `With the greatest of respect, Tremblay doesn't get it. This strike is not about an irresponsible union. It is about irresponsible city and provincial governments that have handed civil-service unions a huge club - the right to strike against the public - and then profess dismay when this club is used.2 y! T+ `9 X5 H0 u1 ^
1 o4 a3 ?( Z' ?
Honestly, now, if you were a labour leader with the power to hold the whole city hostage, you'd be crazy not to. ) F6 S) M) A" q" h% |: q  p

_0 d- T% }3 C4 [: B. K: Q) xIf I were a spokesperson for the 2,050-member union that has destroyed transit service to a city of 3 million, I'd say this to the mayor: "If we aren't supposed to strike, then why does the law let us strike? If rush-hour service isn't enough, then why would the government's own Essential Services Council say it's enough?"
+ |& C: _' t4 {! c0 e
1 Z) Z/ u( r& s$ s. z0 c! eStrikes in monopoly public services make no sense, period. This strike is supposedly against Tremblay and the transit corporation, but Tremblay and the transit bosses and the members of the Essential Services Council have cars and parking spaces. They aren't hurting.$ Q5 T) L! o% ^. h' q) b

+ t+ [" M) [! {: _; `1 {) D8 ?) bDoes the union need the right to strike in order to protect its workers? Nope. New York City's transit workers are generously paid, says Paul Clark, a professor of labour studies at Pennsylvania State University. And that city hasn't had a transit strike in 23 years.% L5 I. @6 T# E5 t
6 A& E! m' a+ r+ D% @* C0 \/ }
Even when they can't strike, public service unions can always demand the right to arbitration. It works well for them, says Clark, and U.S. unions are quite willing to go this route, since the settlements tend to be generous.+ Y/ _7 [" c: K% U5 ?, l

& e# u% N6 ^1 b- y' M  Y. }So why do we have so little concern with avoiding transit strikes in Montreal? Maybe because, unlike New York, where Bloomberg himself takes the subway to work, Montreal's mayor doesn't really get the point: transit is always an essential service. All day. Every day. There is no such thing as an acceptable transit strike.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

lyw9013 该用户已被删除
104#
发表于 2003-11-23 16:45 | 只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

105#
发表于 2003-11-23 17:11 | 只看该作者
everybody, strike is over. every service will return back.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

106#
发表于 2003-11-23 19:50 | 只看该作者
People with monthly pass will get compensations, probably in the form of a rebate at the purchase of a Dec. pass. Keep your Nov. pass as proof, guys.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-4-25 16:51 , Processed in 0.049603 second(s), 36 queries .