租房买房买生意上iU91
楼主: swanson

如何酿制葡萄酒

[复制链接]   [推荐给好友]
发表于 2008-12-31 10:39 | 显示全部楼层

Day 0 - Other Uses for the Juice Bag

After emptying the Juice Bag, u can clean and sanitize it for:

1. Storing and Serving Wine -> similar to the 4 Litre box wine that u buy from supermarket/SAQ. Reusable rubber tap (replacing yellow cap) + accessories sold at most wine making supply stores. Reference diagram 8 + instructions in  http://woodlandestatewines.com/d ... ry_instructions.pdf

2. Warm-up Carboy since it's easier to degas when wine temperature is higher(best at 25-30C).  Normally we use electric heat-belt (~$20+tax) for this. You can also fill a few bags with hot tap water, and wrap the bags around the bucket/carboy, to help increase temperature during fermentation and/or degas.

Not done often, but could be handy in an emergency situation.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-12-31 11:00 | 显示全部楼层

Day 30 - Filter 2 o 3 batches of wine, instead of 1

There are arguments on whether filtering wine is good.  Rough estimation: 50% of people filter and 50% don't.

There are 3 types of filter pads: #1, #2, #3 that you can use to remove sediment and polish wine to commercial standard.  Most people filter once only, with#2 filter pads.  

If u do 1 extra siphon and bulk age wine for 3-12 extra weeks (careful not to disturb sediment) => u can push through 2 or 3 batches of wine on one set of filter pads, not just 1 batch.  2 White + 1 Red, or 2 Reds.

Try it a few times to get the hang of it, don't burn your motor.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-1 18:04 | 显示全部楼层
.  .  .  .  . moved to MP 自酿 (5) - Resources
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-3 14:20 | 显示全部楼层

Day 0 - 28.5 bottles vs. 31.5 bottles

The old Italian glass carboy(smooth side) is ~30.3 bottles, the 'new' Mexican glass carboy(side square pattern) is ~31.7 bottles.  Production on the Mexican ones stopped April 08, nobody knows what will happen.

When u follow manufacturers' instructions, i.e. starting with 23 litre total, u'll get ~28.5 bottles in the end.  Not 30 bottles, due to wine loss during siphons.

For those of u who don't mind lighter wine, u can add a bit extra water on day 0.  On some of my expensive + heavier wine, I start with ~23 +1 litre.  After primary, I siphon it into 1 Italian + 1.5 litre wine bottles, leaving lots of space in secondary = making sure they don't bubble out of containers.  At the end, I don't need to look around for wine to top up for bulk age.  Getting 30 bottles + little for tasting.

Summer is coming, u might be able to get away with a little lighter wine.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 13:01 | 显示全部楼层

Airlock + Bung - Water/Sanitizing Sol'n/Glycerin

Some instructions state "fill airlock with water", most of us use sanitizing solution(=Metabisulphite+H2O).  

For those of u who do extended aging(=bulk age) and/or plan to go away for long vacation, use food-grade-glycerin from drug store, use tape or something to secure the bung.  

It is rare but sometimes the bung does pop itself out of the carboy.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 13:11 | 显示全部楼层

5-20-40-90, Extended Schedule for Better Wine

The connotation I've used in this posting is starting on day 0, some instructions starting on day 1, close enough!

1) Most instructions uses 7-21-28; 7 days in primary, +14 days in secondary, +7 days in stabilizing.  
2) I've suggested in previous posting to go with 7-21-28-42 for people who don't filter.  
3) Try 5-20-40-90 for better wine.  Details under #2 in Making Your Kit Wine Shine @ http://www.winemakermag.com/comp ... your-kit-wine-shine.  

A well written article that is well worth reading and keeping.  Do make time to read it, enjoy!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 13:20 | 显示全部楼层
写的不错,看着太累,写中文行吗?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 13:56 | 显示全部楼层

Day 0 - Better Kits for Better Wine, u get what u pay for!

Bigger doesn't mean better; wine kit industry is a mature industry, u get what u pay for.  Exceptions and MY own guesstimate:
1) Believe Costco's markup is ~8%, much lower than stores.  Estimating a ~$30 kit from Costco ~=$45-55 kit in stores.
2) Discount frozen must(=grape juice) by 15-20% for extra storage cost/"freshness", e.g. a $70 bucket of must is equivalent to quality of a ~$60 kit.

Most of the grapes and "fresh must" available in Canada are lower quality Central Valley stuffs from California.  I don't know enough about European sources.  Top of the line for grape/must is Brehm@www.brehmvineyards.com.  In a few years, Elite Vintners may catch up, www.winekitz.elitevintners.com.

An article in explaining the difference in different levels of wine kits, i.e. 5/7.5/10/12/15/16/18/23L concentrate/ pasteurized juice to make 23L of wine.  When u have time, u can read Big Kits @ www.winemakermag.com/component/r ... -big-kits-wine-kits.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 14:10 | 显示全部楼层

Closing

Believe I've finished most of what I thought of writing under this topic.  This posting is intended for people who have done a few kits; giving them few tips and tricks that they can use.  Those of u who has never done any wine/kit will not understand me.

In closing, there's no secret to good winemaking.  CLEAN+SANITIZE/DISINFECT are the 2 keys in successful winemaking. Like cooking, start with good ingredients for better wine, i.e. buy better must/wine kit(=more$).

For funny stuffs that some wine makers do, see MP自酿(3)-酿红/白葡萄酒的变化玩法@ http://sinoquebec.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=605967

整个MP自酿系列的帖子 - 不回答问题, 欢迎更正内容!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-7 18:31 | 显示全部楼层
oooooo
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 免费注册

本版积分规则

Copyright © 1999 - 2024 by Sinoquebec Media Inc. All Rights Reserved 未经许可不得摘抄  |  GMT-4, 2024-3-28 09:58 , Processed in 0.046285 second(s), 34 queries .