I am a General Contractor for many years and with many white hair from this this job.
I see your topic of discussion and on request of my one of my best costumer, I will make light in this go and for.
At the end of my message you will find an attachment right RBQ licence for renovations. And to clarified the first topic for me it is: The lady pay the fine because she signed a contract with a contractor without licence 1.2, 1.3 . , and the work to be done was required those classes.The guy took RBQ suspension with restrictions for 5 years and 22.000,00 $ fine also; the lady (poor her) 12.000,00$ ( I was called to finish that work and believe me three times the Rbq, CCQ and City Hall came to check me (but this is something normal for us)
Second: Some one write about city hall permission. Who wrote this is wrong and out of topic. When you work in a specific city you have to apply to their laws and to which construction code they approved. There is no amount barrier for permits, there in no general rules, each city decide how they want. They, the city hall, in generally look for the street architecture, house structures, land-scape, and face colors, and of course for any additions to the house which they can tax. So you who wrote 20.000$ amount, sorry you are out of the reality.
The only correct thing you say it is that the owner had the obligation to ask the permit. Suggestion: Better the Contractor go to ask, because if me I go for example, I will have the permit wright there. No waiting.(Fees on customer)
Now the MOST IMPORTANT topics: RBQ LICENCE::
they are 3 (three) different licences. 1.Annexe I General Contractor 2. Annexe II Specialised Contractors 3 Annexe III Lower-Risk Specialised Contractors, and this it is what the RBQ say.
1. General Contractor (RBQ 1.1.1: 1.1.2: 1.2;1.3; 1.4; 1.5; 1.6) They are the most. They have all the rights and the powers. In fact they drive more then 60% of Quebec industry. They have the right to execute or to give to a subcontracting any jobs in the industry. For renovations: they have the right to execute them selves or to give to a sub-contractant or to use skilled workers even without CCQ competence card. Any time during and after the general contracter is totally responsible for the warranty of the jobs. And to be very clear, a General Contractor have the right to execute anything. You who say we do not have the right you are wrong and big mouth. You have the smaller RBQ licence for the moment.
2. Specialized Contractors: Are those who have CCQ Competence Card for a specific job in construction and past the RBQ test. EX: plumber, mason, carpenter, flooring. painter, plaster, etc..., you can find all those on RBQ site.( ONLY THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE CCQ CARDS CAN BE CALLED SPECIALIST . If you have the CCQ Card and you have your RBQ licence only for the your speciality, you can do only your specialty job and nothing more.
3. Lower=risk specilised classes: All those categories are given for free without passing any specific job exams by RBQ
After you past basic exams. ex: Administration( RBQ LICENSE SHOWS "A") then RBQ give you all the other categories for free WITHOUT passing any specifics jobs exam.( All those categories are given for FREE 2.5 Excavationet terrassement , 2.7 Travaux d'emplacement; 3.2 petits ouvrages de Beton; 4.2 Travaux de maconnerie non strcturale marbre et ceramique; 5.2 Ouvrages metalliques; 6.2 Travaux de bois et plastique; 7, Isolation etancheite couvertures et revetement exterieur; 8, Portes dt Frnetres; 9 Travaux de finition; 11.2 , Equipements et produits speciaux; 12, Armoires et comptoirs usines; 13.5, Installations speciales ou prefabriquees; 17.2, Intercommunication telephonie et surveillance ) All those categories permit you to do some small jobs but not too much. In our construction fields we call that jobins because of the restrictions they give. Sorry, David your RBQ LICENSE it is this kind, categories, but do not stop you to do many kinds or renovations.
Next topics: David you say you have special licence and the generals contractors can not do what you have in your licence. First: WELCOME IN THE CONSTRUCTION FAMILY. I appreciate you do 2 (two) exams and past. Not easy. Good work man. The point it is you are just at the start of the road, not at the end, man. You do not have no specific licence of any job in the construction, you have the wright to contract just some, and they are not big deals. Instead you have the wright to be appointed by a General to execute jobs in residential renovations where the CCQ card is not required. Please Man, do not thing you know everything in the beging, is not this. In construction we learn every day. And suggestion: Do not ever go against us the Generals Contractors, you need us, and in the begin our push help. Do not speak or publish any more what you wrote before (suggestion)
Renovations: According by the law: On residential renovation, the contractor must be 1.2 or 1.3 RBQ licenced. Exept some specific jobs, I will enumerate further, the workers have no obligation to have CCQ competence card. The CCQ card is required on: Plumber, Electrician. Structure, Isolation, Door and Windows, Structure bricks or stone, Counters and cotra-tops, linoleum or carpets, any central air, natural or propane gas or refrigeration. If we look on those exceptions we understand that any mistake can affect our life or health. Do not understand that everything that is included in specialized classes from Annexe II is only for them. Each classe have exceptions.
I wrote more then I say in the morning meeting with my employees.
!. The topic primary was a complain against some one (David) The lady have the wright to complain to RBQ and the police. (David I suggest you to resolve the topic with her.)
2. RBQ licences I thing you guys now you understand how it works. It Is by numbers and categories. It is complicate and many many laws and different gov. paliers, agencies, etc. Just to pass any RBQ exam it is a nightmare and demande a lot of studies, time and efforts. Except Health and Safety exam who it is really easy all the others are very hard.
3. Specialists in construction are those who past 1800 hours of theory courses and 8000 hours of work under supervision of a master, any others who say I am an master or specialist is just an imposteur. Exist a Certification of RENO-MASTER but it is not easy to have.
4. For you guys the most important thing it is to ask to anybody want to execute a construction work on your propriety his RBQ Licence and verify if it is the good one for your kind of the work. On RBQ web you find any number and categories explained very nice. This site it is for you guys, not for me. Was put in place for the public.
4. Thanks to any one who wrote. I have hard time to translate, but funny. You are a really nice community which share everything. I have Chinese costumers (hard and demanding) but I always have fun.